A professional dental cleaning is the key to a healthy, sparkling smile. Even if you take great care of your teeth, bacteria may still be left behind that can only be removed by a dentist. If left unchecked, this bacteria may lead to gum disease and other health issues. A good oral hygiene routine paired with regular cleanings will help you prevent gum disease and keep your mouth healthy.
4 Reasons to Schedule a Dental Cleaning Today
Regular cleanings will provide you with numerous benefits. Here are four great reasons to schedule a cleaning today at Ascent Family Dental:
- To keep gum disease at bay. Gum disease is caused by plaque build-up. Plaque is that sticky film that develops on the surface of your teeth. When this sticky film is not removed, it hardens and turns into tartar, which is very difficult to remove. The bacteria in plaque can irritate the gums and cause them to become inflamed. This is known as gingivitis. Over time, this inflammation can damage the gum tissue and lead to advanced gum disease. Regular dental cleanings will remove plaque build-up to help prevent gum disease. If necessary, we may discuss with you a deeper cleaning known as a scale and root plane
- To brighten your smile. Acidic foods and drinks, like coffee and tea, can stain tooth enamel. Some medications can also stain your teeth. A professional cleaning will can remove these surface stains, leaving you with a brighter, whiter smile.To keep your breath fresh. Bacteria is often to blame for chronic bad breath, or halitosis. A professional cleaning will remove odor-causing bacteria and food particles to promote fresh breath.
- To keep your teeth healthy. This is the most important reason to schedule regular cleanings with your dentist. With regular dental checkups and cleanings, oral health problems can be spotted early on. Cleanings will also remove harmful bacteria that may lead to gum disease.
Cleanings and What to Expect During Your Dental Visit
During your dental cleaning, you will have more than just your teeth cleaned. Our dental hygienist will also perform diagnostic and preventative services as well as educate you on how to care for your teeth. Here are just a few of the things that you can expect during your dental cleaning session:
- An oral cancer screening and exam.
- Checking of your swallowing patterns, chewing and biting.
- X-rays to check for tooth decay.
- Evaluation of your gum tissue.
- Plaque and tartar removal.
- Possible fluoride application.
- Stain removal.
- Teeth polishing.
- Denture cleaning.
Laura is the dental hygienist here at Ascent Family Dental. Her job is to provide you with the best possible cleaning experience and to help you understand how to maintain good oral health. If you’d like, she can help you evaluate your self-care routine and provide counseling on how to floss and brush your teeth properly. Laura is thorough, but uses a gentle touch to make sure that your cleaning is as comfortable as possible. Our patients love her.
- Proper Tooth Brushing at Home: http://t.co/qrw6RAQkdw via @YouTube 9 months ago
- Review: http://t.co/HZLpsSX15M via @YouTube 1 year ago
- Rinsing: http://t.co/Jk1zI6WWmb via @YouTube 2 years ago
- Flossing: http://t.co/cBd0tV68bO via @YouTube 2 years ago
- Oral health body: http://t.co/Szk5kL4GWP via @YouTube 2 years ago