Dental crowns are a type of dental restoration that fully cover the outer surface of a tooth. In a way, crowns actually replace your tooth’s natural surface. Crowns are permanently cemented in place and function just like any other natural tooth. They even look like your other natural teeth, which is why crowns are such a popular choice in tooth restoration.
Why Dental Crowns Are Used
Dental crowns may be recommended by your dentist for three main reasons:
- To repair or strengthen damaged teeth.
- To improve the color, shape or alignment of teeth
- To hold a dental bridge in place
Dentists may recommend crowns for a variety of different reasons, but each of these reasons generally falls into one of the categories listed above.
Dentistry Crown Types
Crowns can be made from a variety of materials. Each material type has its own advantages and disadvantages. Some materials create a more natural appearance, while other material types are known for being more durable. There are three main types of materials used to create tooth caps:
- Porcelain: Porcelain crowns are a popular choice because they can be color matched to blend seamlessly with your natural teeth. The biggest issue with a porcelain jacket is that the material may chip or break off.
- Gold: Gold crowns require less tooth structure to be removed, and they tend to be more durable than other material types. Because of their unnatural appearance, these types of crowns are usually placed on molars that are out of sight.
- Ceramic: Ceramic crowns also offer a natural appearance, and are a great alternative for those with metal allergies. Because of their natural appearance, ceramic crowns are a great option for front teeth.
Advantages of Dental Caps
When it comes to tooth restoration, dental caps are a smart solution. Depending on the condition of your teeth and the purpose of the crown, you can expect to enjoy the following benefits:
A Natural look: Unlike other restoration options, crowns offer a natural look. Porcelain and ceramic caps can be color matched to look just like your other natural teeth. A natural look is especially important when restoring front teeth as these are the teeth that everyone sees when you smile.
A long-lasting solution: Crowns are a permanent solution. In fact, studies have shown that crowns last longer than other dental restoration options, including implants and fillings. However, once a crown has been placed on your tooth, it will always need a crown.
Added protection: Crowns can help protect broken, chipped or cracked teeth. In some cases, dentists can use these caps to hold a chipped tooth together. This may delay or prevent the extraction of a tooth.
An improved appearance: Dental crowns can be placed over stained, chipped, misaligned or misshapen teeth to improve their appearance. Dentists may even use crowns to hide an implant or mask another dental restoration. In this way, crowns can have a dramatic impact on the look and shape of your smile.
Improved Functionality: Because they are custom-made to fit your tooth, crowns allow your teeth to function naturally. If the cap is used to repair a broken or chipped tooth, it may even improve the functionality of your teeth by eliminating issues with chewing or speech. Once placed, crowns will feel just like your natural teeth.
Dental crowns are a great dental restoration solution for most patients. If you’re considering porcelain, gold or ceramic crowns for your teeth, Ascent Family Dental can help you decide if you’re a good candidate for this procedure. Call us today to schedule an appointment or stop by our office. We would be happy to answer any questions you have and to help you with all of your family dental needs.