After your eyes, your smile is the second thing that people notice about you. When you want that perfect, white smile, dental veneers are the way to make that happen. They’re designed to enhance the cosmetic value of your smile and give you that confidence boost you need to put your best foot forward.
What are Dental Veneers?
Dental veneers are thin, custom-made shells that are designed to cover the front surface of your tooth. Constructed with tooth-colored materials, these shells improve the look of your teeth by masking stains and brightening your smile.
Veneers are made from porcelain or composite materials. Composite veneers are repairable and less tooth surface needs to be removed before placement, however they normally don’t look as nice or last quite as long. Porcelain veneers are stronger, more resistant to stains and look better than the composite option. Many people prefer porcelain because it creates a more natural appearance. Greeley dentist Dr. Scott Williams can help you determine which option is the best choice for you.
Regardless of which material you choose, veneers will provide you with a number of benefits and can be used to correct a variety of cosmetic issues.
The Advantages of Veneers and Cosmetic Dentistry
When it comes to improving the look of your smile, veneers are a great option. They can be used to correct a number of cosmetic issues to restore your naturally beautiful smile. Veneers can be used to correct:
• Gaps by closing the space between teeth
• Worn teeth
• Broken or chipped teeth
• Tooth discoloration
• Teeth that are misaligned or oddly shaped
Veneers offer a number of other advantages of as well.
- They look and feel quite like your natural teeth. Porcelain veneers can also be designed to match, or compliment, the shade and color of your teeth for a seamless, natural look.
- They can be used to reshape your smile.
- They can strengthen teeth with cracks and chips.
- Porcelain veneers are resistant to stains.
- If you would rather not wear braces, veneers can create the look of straight teeth from the front in about 3 weeks instead of months.
The Veneer Procedure and What to Expect
At Ascent Family Dental, we realize that veneers can be a significant investment, and we’ll take the time to properly diagnose, plan and guide you through the entire process. Generally, we use a four-step process to complete this procedure.
- The first thing we’ll do is talk. We’ll discuss you desires and make sure we understand what your goals are and ensure everyone is on the same page. Next, we take an impression of your existing teeth. Then, if the desired changes are significant, we’ll make a wax-up with those changes to reveiw on our next appointment.
- During the next visit, we’ll discuss the wax-up, make any changes, and then remove a thin layer of tooth. In most cases, this layer is so thin that no anesthetic is required. We will also make any other necessary changes to your teeth and gums to prepare your mouth for your new smile. We’ll then make your temporary veneers from the wax-up we created.
- The temporary veneers will be worn for at least a week to give you some time to “test drive” them. After the test run, you’ll come back for another appointment for any tweaks you’d like to make. We’ll take a couple of sets of impressions to send off to our laboratory, and then we’ll send you home with the temporary veneers.
- Over the next couple of weeks, our laboratory (located right next door) will custom make your veneers. Once they’re ready, we’ll have you try them on and make sure they meet your approval. Finally, we’ll permanently cement them on.
It sounds like a long process, but our multi-step approach ensures a predictable, long lasting, and of course, beautiful (or handsome) outcome. If you’re looking to brighten or reshape your smile, come on in to Ascent Family Dental, and we’ll help you decide if dental veneers are the right option for you.